TIME IS RUNNING OUT!!!
THE ELECTION! My
name is David Trott, I am a retired Police Officer with Springettsbury
Township. I have witnessed first-hand the mishandling of the Township
by the Township Manager, John Holman and how the current majority of the
Board of Supervisors Bill Schenck (20 years on Board), Don Bishop (20 years on Board), and Mike Bowman (over 10 years on Board) have
protected the Manager at all costs. There is a Good Ole Boys Network within our local government, which has cost the taxpayers millions of dollars in reckless spending!
I created this website in April,
2012 as a means for our residents to become informed of what is really
taking place in their Township. These Supervisors have controlled this Township for many years with little or no oversight! Once we began to understand the decisions which were being made by this Board, we realized that we must bring change to our local government!
I was asked recently if the new candidates were going to completely change the Township? The resident did not want to see this, as they believed that the Township is a good place to live and has many benefits.
That was an excellent question and I totally agree that, Springettsbury Twp. is a wonderful place to live. It is my understanding that Kathleen Phan and Larry Crumling want to build on the Township's positive features and eliminate the negative or counterproductive aspects of the Township.
For the most part, people only see the positive and don't really know about the negative, unless it personally involves them or someone they know.
Most people do not know the following about our Township:
- Nearly $40,000.00 was spent searching for a new Police Chief when there was a highly qualified/trained candidate within our own Police Department. The Manager elected to hire a City of Philadelphia Police Officer to become the Chief. Upon his arrival, the new Chief was trained by the Springettsbury Twp. Police Officer who had acted at the Chief for several months but, not given the job! The new Chief was given a $5,000.00 raise after only six months of employment!
- The current majority of our Board of Supervisors want to outsource our Ambulance by renting the services of an outside vendor! Because of the public outcry to keep our own EMS, which has served our Township since the 1950's, the Administration has attempted to confuse the residents by stating that they only want to improve our Ambulance by providing Advanced Life Support and putting two Ambulances into service. Not true! They want to replace our Ambulance! The fact is, the Township could provide these additional services while still maintaining our own Ambulance Service. We currently have trained Advanced Life Support personnel employed by the Township, however, they are not allowed to work as such. We also have two Ambulances available to us, however, the Manager refuses to put the second Ambulance into service! Don't be fooled!!!
- The current majority of the Board of Supervisors, along with the Township Manager merged our Fire Department with the Spring Garden Twp. Fire Department at a significant cost to both Townships. We now pay much more for less Fire Service! To try to lessen the budget, staffing has been reduced and the equipment is kept in poor working condition!
- A Firefighter was hired from Prince George's County Maryland to be the Chief of the newly merged York Area United Fire and Rescue (YAUFR). The new Chief is among the top paid Fire Chief's in the Commonwealth of PA. YAUFR's new contract includes a salary for their Firefighters, which is among the lowest in the Commonwealth of PA.
- The current majority of the Board paid the Township Manager $10,000.00 bonuses each year without a single evaluation of his performance. This practice stopped when it was exposed to the media.
- The current majority of the Board elected to build a new $5 Million Fire Station, without considering the expansion/renovation of the current Fire Station. The new Station is being built in a flood-plain, in close proximity to an assisted-living facility and a new Hotel!
The list goes on and on! These are the types of things which need to be changed in Springettsbury Township! Common Sense decisions have been replaced by reckless spending. The Manager and the current majority of the Board act as though there is an endless supply of money in the Township. Their huge egos have replaced their obligation to be public servants and answer to the citizens!
Only recently, since we have exposed these and other issues, do we see some small improvements in the Township's transparency!
Supervisors Mike Bowman and Don Bishop are leaving the Board, which has opened their two seats for this election.
Take Back Springettsbury Township - 2013 supported three candidates during the Supervisors Primary Election. Two of our three candidates moved on to the General Election, which will be held on November 5, 2013.
3,000 votes were cast for the candidates supported by Operation Take
Back during the 2013 Supervisors Primary Election! Democrats and Republicans
were united at the polls, demanding positive change in Springettsbury Township! This election is not about political parties, it is about electing two candidates who will bring positive change to our Township!
We supported candidate, Kathleen Phan, who ran as a Republican. Kathleen won both the Republican nomination as well as the Democratic write-in
for the second spot on the Democratic ticket for Springettsbury Township
We also supported candidate, Larry Crumling, who ran as a Democrat. Larry ran unopposed and will also move on to the November, General Election.
Operation Take Back will continue to support candidates Kathleen Phan and Larry Crumling in the General Election on November 5, 2013.
It is imperative that
both these candidates are elected to the Board of Supervisors for
positive change to occur in Springettsbury Township! We are asking that all citizens, regardless of party affiliation or if you have no party affiliation, to come together to support Kathleen
and Larry on November 5th.
Kathleen Phan (Republican)
Click here to learn more about Kathleen & Larry and some of the issues surrounding this election.
Larry Crumling (Democrat)
WHY IS THIS ELECTION SO IMPORTANT?
For the first time in many years the residents of Springettsbury Township have the opportunity to change the majority of the Board of Supervisors. To do this, we must win both of the Supervisor seats!
We must start with a clean slate and elect two Supervisors who have no affiliation with the current majority of the Board. This current Board has made some extremely poor decisions which have negatively affected our Community. Their reckless spending has cost the taxpayers millions of dollars in unnecessary projects and purchases, which simply were not necessary. Here are just a few examples of decisions made by these men, which has negatively impacted our Township:
-This BOARD has hired and retained a Manager who has been controversial and counterproductive for the good of the Township, to say the least!
-This BOARD created YAUFR, which has cost Springettsbury Township hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars more, for fire service, and resulted in less fire protection!
-This BOARD has allowed the Manager to hire a police officer from the city of Philadelphia to be the Chief of Police and completely change this local police force!
-This BOARD is contemplating the outsourcing of our own Ambulance Service!
-This BOARD has authorized the spending of more than 12 Million dollars during a significant economic recession to build a new Fire Station, Police Station, and make renovations to a ten year old Administration building and a 10 Million dollar park.
-This BOARD was sued for violating a developers civil rights, which cost the Township $80,000 and the Township’s insurance company an additional $90,000. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW MORE ABOUT THIS)
WHY VOTE FOR PHAN and CRUMLING?
Kathleen Phan (Bio)
Larry Crumling (Bio)
Letter To The Residents
None of the candidates running for Township Supervisor have ever been elected to a legislative body, similar to that of Township Supervisor. Each bring a variety of work and life experience, however, each candidate, if elected, will have to learn the position, while performing the job!
Here are some things which separate Kathleen Phan and Larry Crumling from the other candidate, Mark Swomley.
First and very importantly the Good Ole Boys are supporting Mark Swomley in this Supervisors election! They are desperate to maintain their power and control of the Township!
Kathleen Phan and Larry Crumling:
- Are the only candidates who have acknowledge problems with the current Board of Supervisors and the Township in general!
- Are not politicians but, are ordinary citizens, your neighbors, who are willing to give their precious time to make change in Springettsbury Township!
- Will be public servants, listen to the citizens, serve with common sense, honesty and integrity!
- Are the only candidates who are not affiliated with or being endorsed by the current majority of the Board of Supervisors and will not be inappropriately influenced by them!
- Advocates of less government and more transparency from our government!
- Are opposed to eliminating the Springettsbury Township Ambulance Service.
- Are committed to making our Township more Resident friendly, Business friendly, and Employee friendly!
Mr. Swomley has never acknowledged the problems which currently involve our local government! Do you really believe that, if elected, Mark Swomley will work to resolve the issues created by those who support him???
Don't be fooled! We cannot afford more of the same in Springettsbury Township!
The current majority of the Board recently approved 12 MILLION dollars for various projects in the Township. Being that there was no money saved for future projects, all this money will be borrowed. The reason why no money was saved is because every penny that comes to the Township is spent frivolously!
Kathleen Phan and Larry Crumling will eliminate the reckless spending which is currently the rule of the Board! Your future taxes depend on this!!!
The current Board boasts that property taxes have not been increased in nine years. Mr. Swomley also makes this claim on his campaign literature. What they don't tell you is that, if the spending had been done more wisely, taxes could have been reduced. They also don't mention the fact that the Local Service Tax was raised from $10 to $52. This money was supposed to be placed in the Capital Reserve Fund for future projects. This never happened and now all the money for these projects must be borrowed. The Board has also increased fees on your sewer service and trash collection!
Our only hope for change is to elect two candidates who have no affiliation with the current majority of the Board. Vote for change! Vote for Kathleen Phan and Larry Crumling!
What you are about to read is not fiction, and it is not a political attack on the Springettsbury Township Board of Supervisors and the Township Manager. We are simply sharing historical and current facts of what we consider..., "SERIOUS ISSUES"! We have provided shocking data that many residents may not be aware of, and we will continue to provide information until the necessary changes have been made. Unfortunately, over the years our "public servants" have lost sight of common sense fundamentals and their expected civic duties!
The restoration of the taxpayer's trust and confidence cannot occur without the REFORM of a NEW BOARD in 2013! We plan to ensure that Springettsbury Township will move forward in the best possible direction with a Board, which acts with total transparency, honesty, and integrity.
This website would not have been necessary if the current majority of the Board of Supervisors (Supervisors Schenck, Bishop, and Bowman) would have listened to the many people who have come before them, over the years, with their problems, concerns, and complaints. Instead, the Administration and the Board Of Supervisors seem to be unresponsive and many times unwilling to listen to the people. They have forgotten that THEIR CUSTOMERS ARE YOU- the taxpayer!
We have not forgotten; that is why your vote on November 5, 2013 is so critical to make the changes that will put the "people" back in the people's local government!"
What is taking place in Springettsbury Township is the result of the following:
- The majority of the Board of Supervisors (Supervisors Schenck, Bishop, and Bowman) in Springettsbury Township have been in place for an extended period of time and they have lost sight of why they were elected and to whom they serve!
- They have become complacent in their duties and blindly allow the Township Manager to make key decisions without the proper guidance from the Board.
- A belief that, we, the Board, must dictate what a homeowner can or can't do on their own property! More and more ordinances have been enacted restricting the citizens!
- They have fallen into the "Escalating Power Syndrome!" We are the elected officials and we can do what we want! Some Supervisors have even become angry when their authority is questionsed!
- Careless spending of the citizens money! The Township's cash surplus seemed to give some Board members a false sense of financial security and proper fiscal management became less important!
- A feeling that there is no need for government transparency! You would be outraged at how some Board members speak behind closed doors!
Presently, Springettsbury Township is being run by a dictator, who has been given unlimited power by a Mangers Ordinance that was written and implemented by the Board of Supervisors years ago. As a result the Supervisors are powerless with certain decisions that take place in our township, and the manager is not held accountable for his actions! Who is leading who? The Supervisors are elected to govern and give direction to the manager, and this is not occuring- an example is the outdated Managers Ordinance that gives "Czar-like powers" to the manager. WE need to change this and now is the time for that CHANGE TO HAPPEN!
- A strange relationship developed almost immediately between the majority of the Board of Supervisors and John Holman in 2003, following his hiring as the Township Manager. He was given full reign with his decision-making; he was protected against the many complaints which were brought to the Boards attention; and his salary was increased dramatically without a single evaluation to determine his effectiveness!
Recently, thousands of taxpayers dollars were spent on a search for the selection of the new Chief of Police. The search was unnecessary as the Department had a highly qualified Officer, with extensive training and experience, who was quite capable of taking over the position. In fact, many members of the community, local business leaders, and law enforcement professionals overwhelmingly supported Lt. Daniel Stump as the next Chief of Police. Even when three of the five members of the Board of Supervisors expressed their desire to have Lt. Stump promoted to Chief, John Holman defiantly proceeded to bring a Police Officer from the Philadelphia Police Department to be the Chief of Police in Springettsbury. Also in disregard for the Police Department's succession plan, which clearly indicated that Lt. Stump was the most qualified and prepared for the position!
The Manager showed a lack of respect for the wishes of the Board, yet, for whatever the reason(s) the majority of the members of the Board of Supervisors turn their heads, rather than confront John Holman who supposedly works for them!
Following the announcement of the new
Chief of Police, many citizens and members of the York County Law
Enforcement community were incensed with what had taken place. One high
ranking official made the comment, "that was just political suicide!"
Nothing seems to phase John Holman though, he has the power and he
wields it at will. Hiring John Holman was a mistake and mistakes do
happen. However, the failure to correct the problem was and continues
to be a detriment to Springettsbury Township. It is unfortunate that
the majority of the Board of Supervisors, which have allowed the
Manager to gain more and more power, seem uninterested in how he uses
Complaint after complaint has been
filed against Township Manager, John Holman, yet the current majority of
the Board of Supervisors (Supervisors Schenck, Bishop, and Bowman) do nothing to bring him under control! There
are no checks and balances with this good ole boy network!
Please read our Mission Statement to learn how, together, we can restore honesty and integrity to the Springettsbury Township Board of Supervisors and the Township Administration.
We need less government intervention and more respect for the wishes of the citizens of our community!
Operation Take Back Springettsbury Township
- 2013 is a community based initiative to restore honesty and integrity
to the Springettsbury Township Board of Supervisors and Township
Local community issues affect all the citizens of Springettsbury Township. Over the past several years the current Administration and Board of Supervisors have lost sight of who they represent - "you, the taxpayer." Respect for the citizens and the Springettsbury Township employees is no longer a priority for some board members and the administration.
We have found a large number of citizens who felt they have
been treated poorly and unfairly by the Township and their complaints
have been brushed aside. One of our organizations goals is to bring
these citizens together, to share their stories and show them what needs
to be done to promote change!
Operation Take Back Springettsbury Township - 2013 believes
that the 2013 Board of Supervisors election will be determining factor
of whether the Township continues on this path of self-destruction or
will the citizens reclaim their community.
We have worked diligently to find the right public servants
to fill these Board positions. We have endorsed these candidates as they have
no "personal" agenda and are strong in their convictions of revitalizing
the reputation of Springettsbury Township!
It is imperative that the two incumbents, Donald Bishop and Mike Bowman be removed from the Board when their terms expire on 12/31/13!
Together we can make a difference!!!
Since the inception of this website, Supervisor Mike Bowman decided NOT to run for reelection! Supervisor Donald Bishop did petition to run in the May 21, 2013 Supervisor Primary Election, but then, withdrew his name!
These two events are significant in our mission of bringing common sense back to this "out of control" Board of Supervisors and restoring the good reputation of Springettsbury Township.
We must now start with a clean slate and elect two candidates who have no affiliation with the current majority of the Board of Supervisors!